Mike,

This once again is not an apples to apples argument but rather apples to
rutabega. Still fruit, but very different fruit :)

Correct the per AP bandwidth would be higher. However, try loading an
802.11x system with 100 subscribers. It will choke and the end user
experience will be very bad. It would choke not from bandwidth, but from
simple issues with the scheduler.  I don't know of a single 802.11 based
system that loads well to 100 plus subscriber stations.

Considering Wimax can support these sort of subscriber totals, per sector in
reality, from a spectral efficency standpoint, in 5.8ghz, on ONE tower you
can support something in the neighboorhood of 240mb/sec in total base
station capacity. ( 34 sectors/120mhz ). So yes, you cant sell many 6/6
pipes off this base station, but you can sell a heck of a lot of 1.5/1.5 mb
pipes ( probably around 2400 subscribers ) FROM one tower location.

Not to mention the stablity of Wimax, which is a lot more stable in
modulation, error rate, latency....that it can support many many voice over
ip connections. ( our product can support over 300 concurrent calls per
sector ). Also im completely certain that by using a wider RF channel you
increase the required CINR to achieve full modulation, while reducing your
effective range. Wimax has an effective LOS Range @ peak modulation in
5.8ghz of 10 miles plus.

So yes its expensive. But it definitely beats legacy systems in many
different areas. What good is 300mb in throughput if you can only go 2 miles
with it and the probability of interference is extremely high? On a 7mhz
channel you can easily find open spectrum. I understand the business case
issues with Wimax, and Aperto is probably one of the very few companies that
is sensitive to this issue and is working diligently to find solutions that
can meet customer needs, so that a residential business case can be met. We
know that most customers can't afford a 20 month payback, there is no
arugment there.

Best Regards,

_

Jeff Booher