What we found was that....

If ISP1 has 100mb, and ISP2 has a 100mb, and ISP1 goes down and routes
backup to ISP2, ISP2's customers now get performance degregation and network
congestions, at the expense of ISP1.
ISP2 looses customers and gains bad will far more expensive than just the
backup bandwidth savings.  And then of course there was a cost to connect
one WISP to the other, where sometimes the transport is more expensive than
the transit (even if wireless).

I think there are three other options that help make a bandwdith sharing
relationship work with another WISP.

1) Have 3 circuits total, and Share costs on the third backup connection.
Each WISPA has their own primary connection, and then either can fail over
to the shared backup connection.  It being rare that both providers would
fail at the same time with full traffic load.

2) ISP2 Upgrades to faster speeds, where there is a cost savings per MB,
because there was a higher commit. Now ISP2 has excess capacity. ISP1 helps
cover a percentage of the cost of ISP2's increased cost bandwidth. Everyone
wins because there is bandwidth to spare, and lower cost per mb is acheived
for being better positioned to compete.

3) ISP1 uses provider A, ISP2 uses provider B, both ISPs buy more bandwdith
than they need so there is excess capacity, then two WISPs become backup for
each other. Again, also increases value of carrier diversity, possibly
allowing better pricing for increased volume.

My point here is it is awesome when WISPs work togeather for mutual benefit,
what ever the deal ends up being. I'm just pointing out excess capacity
isn't free, and need to plan for the capacity that is really needed during
the failover situation. The thing to realize is that maximum benefit is not
always realized in a one to one relationship.  A 3 WISP partnership has
greater savings than a 2 WISP partnership, etc.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc
IntAirNet- Fixed Wireless Broadband