From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Bartosch
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 1:40 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Farm Insurance Conflict?

I don't think that helps here, Jack.

It sounds to me like the problem is not that the original insurance
carrier won't cover Robert's equipment. Robert, after all already has
his own insurance. The way I understood Robert's explanation, the
carrier will not honor the *original* policy.

For example, let's say lightning hits the silo, doing serious damage,
but completely spares Robert's equipment. If the original insurer
refuses coverage due to the non-conforming use of the property, the
farmer's widow is SOL because Robert's insurance isn't going to cover
damage that had nothing to do with Robert's equipment.

Robert, I would do as someone else suggested. Just say you'd like to
talk to their agent to see if there's a way to work around the
problem. If you do this, can you let us know the result? I'm sure
we'll all come across this kind of thing eventually.

Chuck

On Aug 1, 2009, at 1:03 PM, Jack Unger wrote:

> Ask your insurance company if the owner of the silo can be added as
> an "additional insured" under your business insurance liability
> policy. This is standard operating practice for most business
> liability insurance. If they say yes, then you can go to the silo
> owners and show them that they will be covered for any loss (up to
> your liability limit) that could be caused by your equipment.
>
> jack
>

> Robert West wrote:
>>
>> Well, they never told me the name of their insurance company and I
>> didn't
>> want to give the impression that I didn't believe them so I didn't
>> push it.
>> I think I'll call our insurance guy on Monday and ask him if there
>> would be
>> any potential conflicts with any farm policies he has ever
>> written.  I would
>> think that as long as we took on the liability of anything that we
>> did,
>> there wouldn't be a problem.
>>
>> Maybe if I get some assurances from our insurance company in
>> writing from
>> our guy and then approach her gently in a couple of weeks or so
>> with some
>> solid guarantees, we may overcome.  It's just a kick in the pants
>> today just
>> minutes after ordering the equipment for that AP.  My fault, I
>> guess, for
>> not getting an agreement signed when she said okay.  Something I'm
>> REALLY
>> bad about doing.  And the thing is, I know better.  I used to help
>> a friend
>> of mine (now dead from the brain cancer, scary!) when he started
>> his WISP
>> and he operated the same way, on a handshake.  Very, very bad.
>> About a year
>> or so ago, some company came in and bought up a few of the grain
>> elevators
>> he was on and since he had no paper on the deal, he was kicked
>> off.  And I
>> mean KICKED OFF, as in, with no notice.  A big part of his network
>> was down
>> for a few weeks while he looked for alternatives.  And I always
>> have that in
>> my head when I'm being "pals" with the site owners.  All my
>> fault........  I
>> admit it.

>>> silo.  We got the okay from the owner, a farmers widow, and took

<wireless@wispa.org

>>> Sent: Friday, July 31, 2009 10:22 AM
>>> Subject: Re: [WISPA] Are customers increasingly clueless? Or is
>>> itgettingbetter?
>>>

>>> Yesterday, we had a long term upstream outage. Someone in Qwest
>>> killed our
>>> ATM upstream and somehow we were getting crosstalk to another ATM
>>> PVC.
>>> (Don't ask nobody can tell me how this was done).
>>>
>>> In the mean time customers are calling us screaming that they need
>>> their
>>> net. Our staff politely informs them all day long that this isn't
>>> a issue
>>> with us, its upstream. Some customers accept that and move on for
>>> the day.
>>>
>>> However the kicker!! One of our customers which is a dedicated 3
>>> meg calls
>>> up and asks, "Are you down" I say yes at this time the internet is
>>> down
>>> due
>>> to a problem with qwest in Denver. The customer says "ok, do you
>>> have an
>>> ETA?" I tell him no not at this time the problem is with qwest not
>>> with
>>> us.
>>> Customer says "ok thanks" and hangs up.
>>>
>>> Not 20 minutes later I get a phone call from the customer, he's
>>> mad as
>>> hell
>>> and spitting nails. I only caught about 1/2 of what he had said.
>>> But it
>>> sounded like. "Your a damn lier, I call qwest, they have NO issues
>>> anywhere.
>>> I want my ****** Net or you can kiss my account goodbye a**hole.."
>>>
>>> Then he hangs up. ( mind you this is a business customer )
>>>
>>> I call him back about an hour later and he says he's canceled. And
>>> will
>>> get
>>> service from somewhere else.
>>>
>>> How can this be? How was this my fault?
>>>
>>> Customers are irrational and stupid..  Agreed. lol....
>>>

>>> Ryan
>>>
>>> On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 1:58 AM, Marlon K. Schafer
>>>  <mailto:o...@odessaoffice.com> <o...@odessaoffice.com>wrote:
>>>

>>> roflol
>>>
>>> Rick this is a GOOD thing....  Your customers call you for all
>>> problems
>>> because YOU WILL ANSWER THE PHONE!!!!!!
>>>
>>> Sometimes great service levels suck.  lol
>>> marlon

>>> if any other people have called today with problems.  I replied

----
>> WISPA Wants You! Join today!
>> http://signup.wispa.org/

> Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
> Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
> Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
> www.ask-wi.com  818-227-4220  jun...@ask-wi.com
> Twitter - "wireless_jack"

----

Chuck Bartosch