From: Brian Rohrbacher
Sent: Saturday, August 01, 2009 8:38 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Are customers increasingly clueless? Oris itgettingbetter?

Don't be afraid to get creative with your backup connection.  Mine is a $60 a
month 6 meg down and 768k up DSL line.  Sure we average 12 meg on the bandwidth
graph, but it's better than being off.  When I have to use the backup I limit
all connections to 56k up and 100k down.....

Brian

Tom DeReggi wrote:
Actually, I disagree with your example.

You let your customer down, not Qwest.
Did you route them out your secondary transit? If you didn;t have one, thats
not the customer's faught.
Did you let him know that you are trying to contact Quest yourself to get
more information on an ETA, and influence a work around?
Did he feel you were in control of the situation? Or did you leave him to
fend for himself, even though you were the expert on the technology?

Sending the message, "oh well, its down, not my problem, let all my own
customers suffer, so what" is not taking care of your clients.
If you had communicated with your client making him feel like you were
working towards defending his interests, he never would have took action
into his own hands and called Qwest directly to investigate further, and get
false answers.

So yes, Customers can be irrational, often unfair and unforgiving, but if
you want to keep your clients its up to you to deal with it and take care of
them.
Who's faught it is, is irrelevent. Customer Service is about taking care of
the customer.

I just lost a customer 2 weeks ago. Power went out AGAIN! It keeps blowing
breakers on electrical panels not under my controll or access.  I can put
UPSes there all day, but that does no good if breakers turn off upstream of
my electrical Demarc.  But DSL, CABLE, and Cellular EVDO didn't go out every
time the property had power failures.  It was my faught that I designed a
business install to be behind an electric  breaker that was outside my
control to manage.  If I did my job and took care of the client, I would
have called the power company or property management and redesign an
alternate solution, after the first couple of times the power went out.  But
I didn't.  Yes, I lost the client, and yes, it was my fault.  Blaiming it on
the Power Company didn't work for long.

Just keeping it real.

Tom DeReggi
RapidDSL & Wireless, Inc