I'd try putting a netequalizer on the network, setting the
connections to 15 or so and let it do it's thing.

Here in corn country the big farmers are all using these 900 MHz GPS
location units on top of their tractors.  Poles and other deployments
have gone up everywhere to create the network; grain bins, rural
water towers etc ...  It's the fastest growing wireless network I've
ever seen, and all but trashes 900 MHz.

Mike