In 2.4 land, if you have a lot of noise, which protocol is better - B or G?
Is it better to run an AP as locked into one mode or is it OK to do a mix?

Max I want off of 2.4 customers is 3meg so not that worried about the extra
speed that G will provide, but, I would like to know which is more stable?
I've always thought that B was more stable overall but just provided less
bandwidth.  I've gotten some info that may counter that.  What's the
real-world experience with folks in a high-noise environment, combined with
a higher useage AP?

I've got an AP that we've run in B mode only for a while.  We've started
having problems with it - speeds go from 3meg at the customer to 200k and
fluctuate constantly.  We've worked with RTS, ACK timeouts, etc etc and
nothing seems to have improved the stability.  For testing purposes we put
up another AP right next to the one we're having trouble with.  Switched two
of our gaming clients to that one (setup as G mode only) and they seem to be
doing better, but not quite as good as we feel they could be.  This is on
Deliberant AP's (Duos).  The backhaul part of it is not the issue - we can
pull close to 15meg back to our office when cabled into the AP.  We have
other Deliberant APs that are running MANY more clients than this one so we
know it's not limitations of the equipment.  AP is on top of a water tower.
Have taken all clients off and brought them back on one by one and it did
not reveal anything significant.  With just one customer on the AP started
acting up again.  Swapped radios in the AP thinking we could have one going
bad and still no luck.

2.4 antennas are H-pol.  We have a ton of noise in the area, but we've been
through basically every channel and it did not help either.  Other AP's in
the vicinity are performing fine.  Thought of the multipath issue so we
raised our test AP up a little higher than the other one.  As I said, the
test AP seems to be better, but next to it on top of the tower we can get
around 8 or 9 meg down (locked into G mode), but at the CPE's we're still
barely getting 2.5-2.8meg.

Any thoughts?  We changed everything we can.  The new "test" AP has a 9db
antenna compared to the 13db on the "production" AP.  Other than that, they
are identical as far as equipment goes.

So, back to the subject question though, what's real-world experience with
G-only mode in the field?