Excellent post. The burden of healthcare on small businesses and their
employees is just too much. I think the following is very telling in
how we got started down this awful road.

This is a transcript of the 1971 conversation between President
Richard Nixon and John D. Ehrlichman that led to the HMO act of 1973:

John D. Ehrlichman: “On the … on the health business …”

President Nixon: “Yeah.”

Ehrlichman: “… we have now narrowed down the vice president’s problems
on this thing to one issue and that is whether we should include these
health maintenance organizations like Edgar Kaiser’s Permanente thing.
The vice president just cannot see it. We tried 15 ways from Friday to
explain it to him and then help him to understand it. He finally says,
‘Well, I don’t think they’ll work, but if the President thinks it’s a
good idea, I’ll support him a hundred percent.’”

President Nixon: “Well, what’s … what’s the judgment?”

Ehrlichman: “Well, everybody else’s judgment very strongly is that we
go with it.”

President Nixon: “All right.”

Ehrlichman: “And, uh, uh, he’s the one holdout that we have in the
whole office.”

President Nixon: “Say that I … I … I’d tell him I have doubts about
it, but I think that it’s, uh, now let me ask you, now you give me
your judgment. You know I’m not too keen on any of these damn medical
programs.”

Ehrlichman: “This, uh, let me, let me tell you how I am …”

President Nixon: [Unclear.]

Ehrlichman: “This … this is a …”

President Nixon: “I don’t [unclear] …”

Ehrlichman: “… private enterprise one.”

President Nixon: “Well, that appeals to me.”

Ehrlichman: “Edgar Kaiser is running his Permanente deal for profit.
And the reason that he can … the reason he can do it … I had Edgar
Kaiser come in … talk to me about this and I went into it in some
depth. All the incentives are toward less medical care, because …”

President Nixon: [Unclear.]

Ehrlichman: “… the less care they give them, the more money they make.”

President Nixon: “Fine.” [Unclear.]

Ehrlichman: [Unclear] “… and the incentives run the right way.”

President Nixon: “Not bad.”

-Matt