Depends... are you deploying WiMAX for fixed operation or for mobile
operation with self install kits, etc.

If Fixed... then yes I think it has a future.  Professional installs, and
better QoS in typically virgin spectrum ='s opportunity.

If not... then I don't think a WISP (as we probably define it) is ever
really going to be profitable with it. Self-installs on wireless gear have
problems in their own right (look at all of the Clearwire horror stories,
and they get to use the EBS spectrum) and mobility is doomed because they
will probably only be mobile within your footprint, which for most WISP's
isn't that big (why pay xxx amount to only be able to roam in city x when I
could pay xxx for LTE/3G and roam across the country).

802.16e in its pure form IMHO is only going to work for carriers like Open
Range and Clearwire utilizing 2.5GHz licensed spectrum.

But what about Motorola's new product?  Remember it's a "fixed" 802.16e, so
you don't get the benefits of mobility, no indoor CPE's are planned as far
as I know, but it is supposed to pay off in NLOS situations (which is
anecdotal until we can get gear on a tower and test).

Daniel White
3-dB Networks
http://www.3dbnetworks.com
dan...@3-db.net