>If not... then I don't think a WISP (as we probably define it) is ever
>really going to be profitable with it.

Off the top of my head, I know of 5 WISPs that are still deploy pre-WiMAX
systems in the 2.5 GHz band and are doing quite nicely (and they aren't
Clearwire / Digital Bridge type businesses where they're losing a ton of money)

The average size of these guys is about 7,000 wireless customers in their
respective markets

In addition, when you dive into their financials, while their up-front CAPEX is
significantly higher (due to the overbuild model of most 2.5 GHz systems) --
their operational and maintenance costs are significantly lower due to the fact
that

1. They're not constantly dealing with interference and all the other "gotchas"
that occur with Part 15
2. Many of them are able to utilize self-installs due to drastically increased
power levels

>But what about Motorola's new product?  Remember it's a "fixed" 802.16e, so
>you don't get the benefits of mobility, no indoor CPE's are planned as far
>as I know, but it is supposed to pay off in NLOS situations (which is
>anecdotal until we can get gear on a tower and test).

There's actually 2 variants of this -- a fixed 802.16e that operates in 3.65,
and their mobile product that operates in 2.5/2.3

-Charles