From: "Marlon K. Schafer" <o...@odessaoffice.com>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 10, 2010 1:41 PM
Subject: [WISPA] Why the telco's will never be true competitors to us

I have a tower down.  It's fed by a *business* grade DSL link.

Can't get to the main router at that local.

So I log onto the Century Tel (century link nowadays) web site go find a
phone number for tech support.

IF there is a phone number on their Microsoft Bing cloan of a web site, I
couldn't find it.  So, I decided to try the online chat thingy.

Up pops a page with a spot for a the username, phone number and zip code.
Naturally, I put the right things in the boxes.  Only to get an error.  So
tried again, and again.  Finally I actually READ what the smallish print
said you can ONLY put in ONE of the fields, not all of them.  Hate to
allow
any answer to work rather than make people only fill in one field where
they
usually have to fill in all of them.  My fault for not reading the fine
print, but then again, I shouldn't have to....

Next, I finally get a tech on the screen.  Well, kinda, the web site
doesn't
have anything but an error at the top.  But the chat part eventually came
up
and a tech was on the line.  We quickly established that the tech support
guy wasn't able to see if there was a dsl connection or not.  ug

So, he gave me a phone number for tech support.

I called that number only to sit on hold for a while (not toooo bad
though)
and then find out that that wasn't the right number for a business
account.

Called the next number.  Sat on hold a bit longer this time, but still
only
a few minutes.  We quickly got through all of the who are you type stuff.
Then the gal on the support end asked me to tell her what lights were on
on
the modem.  "Um, I'm an hour and a half form there."  "Well, sir, I'm
unable
help you unless someone is on at the site."

Sigh.  The home owner at this site is a snow bird and won't be home for
months yet.

The tech support people aren't able to tell if there is a connection or
not.
It's not like this is a little, rinky dink company like mine.  This is a
HUGE telco!  Ug.

They won't even try to fix a business account that I pay $1200.00 per year
for.  Probably even more than that.  Amazing.

Have a great day, I know I will.
marlon

07:35:00