From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of Patrick Shoemaker
Sent: Monday, January 11, 2010 8:46 AM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] Why the telco's will never be true competitors to us

Exactly. The terms "wireless" and "fiber" are too broad to make any
valid reliability comparison without more specifics.

Comparing a licensed point to point microwave system with redundant
paths, spatial diversity, standby power, and a tower structure rated to
150 MPH to an aerial fiber strand running through the woods in northeast
ice storm territory would lead one to believe that wireless is the more
reliable technology.

Comparing a 2.4 GHz 802.11 link with grid antennas shooting some trees
in icy territory to a SONET ring connecting two metro area datacenters
would lead one to believe that fiber is the more reliable technology.

Unfortunately, this distinction is not made by the general public, and
it makes the sales process for business grade fixed wireless services
more difficult.

Patrick Shoemaker
Vector Data Systems LLC
shoemak...@vectordatasystems.com