-Note-
WISPA is currently negotiating with a trade show group to participate in
the development of a wireless broadband show. While the decision to do
this is not yet finalized, the show group will decide the date/location
of the show if that is the direction that we go in.
-Note-

I also thought that a midwestern location would be better for a show,
especially since so many WISPs are within driving distance. However, I
also thought that the Chicago spring 2008 ISPCON would be a rousing
success, and it was a big dud. That may be due to a lot of other
factors, but there just wasn't much of a turnout there. There are
substantial external costs involved in doing a Midwestern show. Flights
are generally expensive, transportation to/from the airport can be
challenging and hotel rooms can get very pricey in the nicer venues. The
trade show guys prefer Vegas because flights are cheap, rooms are cheap,
transportation from the airport is readily available and cheap and there
is plenty to do there outside of the show. Vegas will also "scale up" to
accomodate a larger event. Not everyone is going to agree with Vegas as
the destination, but it is as appropriate of a location as any.

Matt Larsen
vistabeam.com