From: wireless-boun...@wispa.org [mailto:wireless-boun...@wispa.org] On
Behalf Of David E. Smith
Sent: March 30, 2011 1:15 PM
To: WISPA General List
Subject: Re: [WISPA] OpenSource Email Server platform

On Wed, Mar 30, 2011 at 12:47, Cameron Kilton <c...@midcoast.com> wrote:

We have over 7400 email boxes. At $0.35 each that is almost $2,600/month
or $31,200/year. That is a large expense for email.

That's large enough, that it's almost certainly more cost-effective to
do it in-house.

If I were inclined to make up bogus rules-of-thumb, I'd probably say
that if you have fewer than 1000 mailboxes it's likely less expensive to
outsource, and over 5000 you should be doing it in-house. There's a lot
of grey area between those two number, though.

If you do it in-house, there are hardware costs, software costs (even
with open-source you should be donating to the projects that keep your
business running), electricity, cooling, paying someone to keep an eye
on all of the above and to fix it when it breaks... Many people overlook
all these overhead expenses. When you outsource, they give you one
number. In-house, you have to remember to add up all those little
numbers, and not everyone does.

David Smith

MVN.net