We have used a number of these, done a ton of benchmarking and here is a
quick summary of my opinions.  This could end up being a "holy war", but
hope not.  Almost all testing was run using iSCSI storage and typically
bonded Gig interfaces and identical hardware/tests performed.  We used
pretty much the entire Phoronix test suite for getting overall
comparisons.

Here are my observations:

1.       Both Xen and VMWare offer the best and easiest to use
interface.  If price was not a factor I prefer Vsphere but Xen is more
reasonably priced.  The "free" version of VMWare's stuff seems to be
going away in version 5 so that might be an issue if you are going to
use the free versions.

2.       Unless you need Live Migration or some of the other features of
the paid versions the free perform identical.

3.       We saw them Xen/VMWare about 65%-75% of the bare metal results
using our benchmarks (* see disclaimer below).

4.       KVM based virtualization was near 75%-80% of bare metal (*
again disclaimer)

5.       Containers (OpenVZ or Proxmox (does KVM/Containers and nice web
interface)) hit nearly 98% of bare metal!  So, if you are virtualizing a
lot of Linux systems and can live with the caveats of containers they
provide excellent performance.

6.       If you are looking to sell virtual machines to customers you
might want to look at Parallels bare metal servers with the web
addition.  This works very similar to OpenVZ (they are related) and
provides KVM/Containers.  We have tested version 5 a bunch as well and
performance matches the FOSS stuff, with a very nice interface.  In
addition it allows for all sorts of accounting/limits on disk, CPU,
network traffic,... if needed.

* There are two factors we have seen contributing to this.  First, using
iSCSI in a virt machine you get the drivers for the Ethernet dropping
perf a few percent.  Also, since the bare metal machine had ALL of the
RAM, while we typically gave virtual machines 4GB for testing they were
able to do more file/block caching which bumped rates on some of those
tests.

Your workload that you are looking to virtualize will be a big factor in
picking the proper tool.  We have all three in production at this point,
but will probably settle on one going forward, most likely
Containers/KVM since we like the blend of performance and versatility
this provides in addition to the FOSS portion.

* Larry A. Weidig (lwei...@excel.net <mailto:lwei...@excel.net> )

* Excel.Net,Inc. - http://www.excel.net/ <http://www.excel.net/>

* (920) 452-0455 - Sheboygan/Plymouth area

* (888) 489-9995 - Other areas, toll-free