I am going to throw my 2 cents in.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Nick W <lists-wi...@atomsplash.com> wrote:
> I've been experimenting with both the last 2 weeks. I've read that VMWare
> will have a 16GB limitation in it's next free version, which is pushing me
> to Xen/XenServer. Just ordered parts for iSCSI SAN.
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> Xen and Vmware are pretty good.  I would not suggest using a Linux distro
>> and would go with a bare metal (vsphere, xen's alternative)

FOSS virt stuff has come a long way since I first started using it 5
years ago. There a couple FOSS projects that I recommend  to try out.

The first and most mature is called Proxmox VE
(http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve) it is a bare metal Linux
distribution that can be installed on most any server supporting Intel
or AMD virtualzation instructions (most do). Proxmox is a Debian based
distro so anything you can do with Debian can be done with Proxmox.
This has lead to some cool things in terms of HA and replication that
the community has built. The Proxmox feature set is not to bad, it is
no Vmware enterprise plus but does the job. It is in active
development has a nice easy to use web interface and supports
clustering. Future releases (like the upcoming 2.0 release) will
include things like HA out of the box.

The second project is called OpenNode (http://opennode.activesys.org/)
is similar to Proxmox in a few ways. OpenNode like Proxmox can do both
OpenVZ and KVM. It is a CentOS based hypervisor and can be clustered.
It is younger that Proxmox and the out of the box feature set is less.
I however like how easy it is to customize and script various common
tasks. It follows the standard way of doing things in Linux better
than Proxmox does (IMHO) and is also lighter weight, I install the OS
on flash based disks so space is a premium for me. It also will allow
you to take a generic CentOS install and convert it to a OpenNode
member easily.

Both can use iSCSI or other type of shared storage for VM's, I have
had great success with using iSCSI with both distributions, NFS not as
much but that was do to some implementation stuff.

As with anything I recommend you test stuff out and see what fits your
environment best. That being said either of those projects will get
you up and running fast with a minimal learning curve.

I can answer more questions if you have them.

Thanks,
 _
/-\ ndrew