> I am going to throw my 2 cents in.
>

> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 10:04 AM, Nick W <lists-wi...@atomsplash.com> wrote:
>> I've been experimenting with both the last 2 weeks. I've read that VMWare
>> will have a 16GB limitation in it's next free version, which is pushing me
>> to Xen/XenServer. Just ordered parts for iSCSI SAN.
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 8:38 AM, Josh Luthman <j...@imaginenetworksllc.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Xen and Vmware are pretty good.  I would not suggest using a Linux distro
>>> and would go with a bare metal (vsphere, xen's alternative)
>>>

> FOSS virt stuff has come a long way since I first started using it 5
> years ago. There a couple FOSS projects that I recommend  to try out.
>
> The first and most mature is called Proxmox VE
> (http://www.proxmox.com/products/proxmox-ve) it is a bare metal Linux
> distribution that can be installed on most any server supporting Intel
> or AMD virtualzation instructions (most do). Proxmox is a Debian based
> distro so anything you can do with Debian can be done with Proxmox.
> This has lead to some cool things in terms of HA and replication that
> the community has built. The Proxmox feature set is not to bad, it is
> no Vmware enterprise plus but does the job. It is in active
> development has a nice easy to use web interface and supports
> clustering. Future releases (like the upcoming 2.0 release) will
> include things like HA out of the box.
>
> The second project is called OpenNode (http://opennode.activesys.org/)
> is similar to Proxmox in a few ways. OpenNode like Proxmox can do both
> OpenVZ and KVM. It is a CentOS based hypervisor and can be clustered.
> It is younger that Proxmox and the out of the box feature set is less.
> I however like how easy it is to customize and script various common
> tasks. It follows the standard way of doing things in Linux better
> than Proxmox does (IMHO) and is also lighter weight, I install the OS
> on flash based disks so space is a premium for me. It also will allow
> you to take a generic CentOS install and convert it to a OpenNode
> member easily.
>
> Both can use iSCSI or other type of shared storage for VM's, I have
> had great success with using iSCSI with both distributions, NFS not as
> much but that was do to some implementation stuff.
>
> As with anything I recommend you test stuff out and see what fits your
> environment best. That being said either of those projects will get
> you up and running fast with a minimal learning curve.
>

> I can answer more questions if you have them.

Good info, thanks.  If I go with Proxmox can I later switch to
Opennode by simply copying my virtual machines over to Opennode?  Is
OpenVZ preferred over KVM for linux applications that do not care
about the shared kernel?

Initially I am just thinking a dual or quad core socket 1156 processor
with say 8 to 16G of RAM and a few terrabytes of disk in software
RAID1.  I am assuming the nice thing about containers is I can easily
move everything down the road to better/faster hardware?