Hi,

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM, Matt <lm7...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> I can answer more questions if you have them.
>
> Good info, thanks.  If I go with Proxmox can I later switch to
> Opennode by simply copying my virtual machines over to Opennode?  Is
> OpenVZ preferred over KVM for linux applications that do not care
> about the shared kernel?
>
> Initially I am just thinking a dual or quad core socket 1156 processor
> with say 8 to 16G of RAM and a few terrabytes of disk in software
> RAID1.  I am assuming the nice thing about containers is I can easily
> move everything down the road to better/faster hardware?

Yes, you can easily switch between the two distros, the back end tech
(KVM and OpenVZ) is the same for them both. So moving can be a simple
rysnc and some minor tweaks.

Proxmox will not support software RAID, the community as a whole seems
to frown upon it. That does not mean that it will not work but it will
take some manual tweaking. OpenNode does not really care what hardware
you use and so are forgiving to things like software raid, at least
more so than Proxmox.

If you make a clustered environment, which is possible with either
distro you can migrate the box to another host without any downtime.
The host that you move it to can be bigger faster hardware. You can
also make a backup of the machine and restore it to newer hardware if
a little bit of down time is acceptable.

I hope this helps,
 _
/-\ ndrew