To each their own, especially if they can get an extra $9.95 out of it ;)

I run CPE as router so only 1 IP per customer, traffic DMZed to customer
router.

I agree on PPPoE but I haven't tried it in a long time so it may work
better now that I'm not using CB3s and 802.11b (I did say it was a long
time ago :)