I have some merge modules that contain thousands of simple `xcopy` files that
I'd like developers to maintain.  I don't want to use VDPROJ because it's slow
as hell and sucks at MSBuild support and I don't want to use InstallShield
because it costs too much to give everyone a license.

  I can use WiX, but I don't want the developers to have to hand write XML so
WiXAware looks nice.  Problem is WiXAware authors WiX v2 schema and WiX v2
doesn't have MSBuild support.

  I put together a prototype where I took WiX v3 Votive with VSIP/MSBuild
support and hand tweaked the WiXToolPath MSBuild property and pointed it at
  $(ProgramFiles)\InstallAware\WiXAware\WixToolset which is 2.0.5213.0.

  This doesn't give me VSIP, but it seemed to build just fine.  The resultant
MSI passed validation also.

  I've spoken to InstallAware and they don't plan on supporting v3 until it's
promoted to the stable branch.  It also seems unlikely that Votive would get
backfiled to v2.   So all things considered, how crazy does this sound and what
types of success and failure could be expected from this configuration?