I've used an old (2004?) version of InstallShield and it generated a setup.exe
and the msi separately. I'm assuming that setup.exe is their bootstrapper and
was well-known enough to go onto the AV makers white-lists. When burn is
released hopefully its engine could also be white-listed, assuming it's always
the same. As Rob said, some big products like Visual Studio will be using it.
For now it seems that Nikolaj's attempts to get in touch with Trend have not
been successful - maybe an approach from someone actually on the WiX team would
bear fruit?
Pete