From: NIkolaj Steensgaard [mailto:n...@panorama9.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2012 3:37 AM
To: General discussion for Windows Installer XML toolset.
Subject: Re: [WiX-users] Reopen Burn triggers virus checker - ID:
3431068

On 01/12/2012 09:46 AM, Peter Hull wrote:
>> From: r...@robmensching.com
>> We'll need to teach this anti-virus program about Burn. Fortunately
big
>> programs, like Visual Studio, are using Burn and if it kills them I
hope we
>> can muster some change.
> So are you saying we need to raise this as an issue with Trend Micro?
I have been trying to debug this issue to answer that exact question !
> Is the program that actually writes the registry always the same? (I'm
a bit confused about what the stages are when a burn exe is run,
particularly what the burn engine is and what the burn agent is)
I will explain the issue more detailed to better give insight in what we

are seeing.

For about year we have been deploying our software build with the WIX
installer as a MSI package and have not seen this issue.

To Months ago we created a Bundled version ( exe build with WIX 3.6 )
that checked for .net 3.51 + Win install 3.1 and
installed if needed before installing our software

Then we got reports from client's about this issue occurring

The Bundled version is quite simple and only checks for the above
mentioned software and downloads / installs if needed

A complete AD with Trend Micro Office Scan were established to reproduce

the error which we can.

Some things that we so far have noticed :

It only seem to occur on Windows XP for some reason.  ( this machine
already have the needed .net and Win install so it's not there installer

that's creates the problem )
Our Code does not at anytime write or read from the RunOnce key
Also as the previous reporter of this issue ( ID: 3431068 )

We will be trying to use SysInternals tools to get a debug of whats
happening when the issue occurs, and post the result here.

Hope this helps in explaining the issue we are seeing and we are more
that happy to run any test's you suggest !!!

Nik