The git repository is not the distribution tarball. As long as the
INSTALL-WMAKER file is generated at make time, and is included in the make
dist-*, then it’s fine. Based upon my latest build of the master branch, that
is indeed the case.

If it really is auto-generated there is no need for it to be in the repository
whatsoever. It’s merely a build artifact.

A person going to the actual git repository is expected to be a developer, or
someone who is interested in opening the doors and peeking inside the sausage
factory, as it were. We can assume they know how to run autogen.sh, since there
isn’t even a ./configure script.

[jhriv@chao:/tmp/wmaker.next] (:e666cfc|…)± ./autogen.sh && ./configure && make
dist-gzip && tar tf WindowMaker-0.95.6.tar.gz|grep INSTALL-WMAKER
WindowMaker-0.95.6/INSTALL-WMAKER

That’s from next, right before the commit that restored the auto generated
INSTALL-WMAKER

-john