I would strongly recommend against ever using large fonts unless required for a vision impairment. Even on a laptop with higher dpi than a desktop monitor.

Just because you may have a higher resolution applications generally don't scale in that manor. Some applications will even refuse to start unless you change back to small fonts. Also of course if you have a higher resolution you also have a larger screen so the dpi will be quite similar to a smaller screen (on desktops).

Dean Edridge wrote:
Jixor - Stephen I wrote:
Wouldn't all those heading sizes would look fairly similar, especially 102%?

Dean Edridge wrote:
Assuming that viewers of your site have not changed the settings on their software to suit their eyesight or their general preferences is wrong.

By giving users: body{font-size:100%;} you are doing the best you can at your end, and It's up to them to ensure they have correctly configured their browser to suit their eyesight or preferences.

I have my laptop set at 1024x768.
With Firefox I have the font size set at 16px.

That means that when I view a web page, I am saying to firefox: "Show me this web page, and show the main text at 16 pixels and scale the other text (h1, h2, h3, h4) around this base font-size setting".

Setting this in your css sheet:

body{font-size:100%;}

h1 {font-size: 145%;}
h2 {font-size: 132%;}
h3 {font-size: 125%;}
h4 {font-size: 115%;}
h5 {font-size: 108%;}
h6 {font-size: 100%;}
p, ul, ol, blockquote, pre {font-size:100%;}

ensures that this is possible.

note: I think the code suggested was originally from: Gunlaug Sørtun http://www.gunlaug.no

The heading sizes aren't that important, you can change these to what ever you like (I just changed the h5 to 108%). They were put there as an example. It's the main "font-size" (body{font-size:100%;}) that is important.

On my wide screen desktop monitor (1440pixels x 900pixels) I have the default font-size in firefox set to 18pixels. Having this set ensures that all well designed sites scale well and look great on my large screen.

// Here's where I get a bit off topic and start talking about the liquid web in general.

If anyone's using a large monitor (by my definition larger than 1024x768) you should never change the resolution of the screen down to suit badly designed websites or other poorly thought out software. Instead, change the settings of your OS to suit the screen size. If you are using XP, do this: Right click on the desktop click -> appearance -> Font-size and select large Fonts -> click apply. This does not change the font-size for all programs though, you will have to change these individually.

And if you come across sites that are only 760pixels wide and only take up half the screen. That's not your problem, they are poorly designed sites.
All website designs should fit in to one of the following categories:

Liquid-layout
Fluid-layout
Vector-layout

It's not impossible, just look at Trademe [1] biggest site in New Zealand and no horizontal scrollbars till under 800x600 resolution And there's simple liquid layouts such as the php.net site [2] and w3.org [3]
[1] http://www.trademe.co.nz/
[2] http://www.php.net/
[3] http://www.w3.org/