On 6/9/07 (09:08) Jens said:

>I would like to point out that text in a web page is usually not there
>merely for a design purpose but for communicating some information.

No arguments here. If the consensus amongst the visiting user-base is
that the information is lost or hard to access on account of small text
sizes then the design has certainly failed in its job.

>That said, it surely is more aggravating for a reader to first have to
>make a text readable before being able to access some information.
>This means, a bigger initial text size makes reading or scanning a
>page for information easier and is more polite towards the reader.
>
>Someone who prefers small text size will be able to read bigger text
>whereas someone who prefers bigger text will not be able to read small
>text.

Again, a perfectly valid point. However, to mix my own argument into
yours (if I may)...

Someone who prefers small text size will be able to read bigger text...
but may not know how to reduce it to their preferred size.
Whereas someone who prefers bigger text will not be able to read small
text... but is perhaps more likely to be aware of how to enlarge it to
suit their needs.

But now I'm repeating myself, so I think I'll shut up for a while (apart
from a couple of other replies).

Blimey, this turned into quite a thread. But then the font sizing thing
always evokes passionate reactions I guess.

--
Rick Lecoat