  From: Sam Sherlock
  To: wsg@webstandardsgroup.org
  Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:13 AM
  Subject: Re: [WSG] Full flash websites

  As many have already commented I apply caution when using flash (because of
it creates extra work, because users like Sven disable it by default and much
more besides)

  The thing is some clients care initially more for the visual appeal (things
bouncing around etc) of websites and not for features that improve the
accessibility or user experience overall.

  others have made points about ensuring content is available to all.  In a lot
of cases it is possible to display the same content in a no flash format
(server side scripting helps a great deal - not writing script srcs or
codeblocks to the page  [setting this in a user setting session var])

  I make use of swfObject to replace a summary of the content that the swf
displays, often with links to further info

  of the extent of work produced by this can mushroom, and become unwieldy.
admittedly this is much easier if the site is not full browser flash, but if
the site is small and all the content is loaded in dynamically

  Flash can recreate (often poorly) things that are achieved with traditional
html  - deep linking
  And this is then an aspect of the site that must be cared for, increasing the
overall complexity (and therefore potential err) - there if a lot to bear in
mind here

  also there is shadowbox (by Michael Jackson [not the former jackson 5 pop
sensation])   that does a real nice job in displaying all kinds of content
lightbox (lokesh dhakar) style of the page - this is what Ben Buchanan was
refering to  I think - http://mjijackson.com/shadowbox/index.html

  - S

  2008/5/6 Ben Buchanan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

    > What do you people, professionals and hobby standardists think about full
    > flash websites?? where is the usability and accessibility for flash in
    > general??

    Accessibility and search engine visibility of Flash in most cases is zero.
I've only heard of one Flash site that was considered accessible and it made a
lot of news at the time!

    Flash only reliably works for users with no physical or technical barriers;
and search engines can't read Flash in any useful manner. I generally don't
like the usability aspects either - that's subjective I guess, but I've found
Flash is generally used when someone thought HTML didn't make them look cool
enough. Which means they wanted lots of stuff to bounce and flash and so on ;)

    Essentially you should only ever add a Flash layer over the top of XHTML;
and give users the choice between the two. Flash isn't evil, but *only offering
Flash* is evil.

    -ben

    --
    --- <http://weblog.200ok.com.au/>
    --- The future has arrived; it's just not

06:01