On Wed, 7 May 2008 02:35:51 pm Elizabeth Spiegel wrote:

> It can be great for getting immediate feedback without reloading a page
> e.g. building a customised bag at Timbuk2:
> http://www.timbuk2.com/tb2/products/bagbuilder
>
> Elizabeth

Hi

Yes, but that kind of functionality can easily be done with some AJAX
know-how. e.g http://www.stripegenerator.com/

Really, from a developers POV, the benefit of Flash was to do the little http
fetches from the server without loading the page -- what came to be known as
AJAX. It could do it back in 1999 or whenever Flash 3 came out, in a
rudimentary way. If you are using Flash just for that then JS/HTTP request
can do it just as well, debugging is easier and the license fee is a lot
lower :) That's why I stopped using Flash.

For design, animation etc, Flash still has the edge although some of the
recent SVG improvements are starting to erode that (like resizable SVG
backgrounds in Opera 9.5)

Cheers
James