that timbuk2 is great.

wholeheartedly agree about the small fonts and poor contrast

though this is designers getting carried away with things, and pleasing
their own egos

often I get asked by clients to create a flash intro for a site, with
cinematic ambitions they describe what they had in mind

'text slides in..', '...musical intro plays'    - etc

Sometimes it sounds like people think it doesn't matter what a site looks
> like as long as it is accessible.
> But it does matter to the majority of people. I know that content is the
> ultimate thing, but if the site isn't presented in an attractive manner then
> a lot of (sighted) people won't stop to look. I personally would rarely
> bother looking at a site that had no styles and/or looked like a Word
> document or list or something. I don't think I'm alone here! Most of us live
> in a visual world. So we want/expect/need to see attractive things.

its about balance; and finding the right middle ground.    This is project
specific.  I make every site with three groupings in mind

   1. client
   2. intended audience
   3. maintainer of site (sometimes not me, sometimes client or employee
   of client using CMS)