From: "Al Sparber" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Good morning

My client wants her image galleries to look the same (if possible) as on
her Power Point Presentation. These images (in PPP) are positioned
absolutely ie a certain cm measurement  from top left in each case.  The
images are of paintings and are NOT  of  uniform size so I am working
with different thumbnail sizes.  I have made them a uniform  maximum
150px high but of course some are a lot wider and do not reach 150px
vertically.

http://www.westernwebdesign.com.au/sarwon/slightly.html

CSS is ul#img

I have tried giving them ALL a uniform height 150px  regardless of width
- see bottom 4 images - but of course I had to add a new bit of CSS -
ul#img2 with a much wider ul#img2 li.

You could constrain the thumbnails you see on the page to a certain consistent dimension, using height and width or using overflow hidden and then show the thumbnail in its natural aspect ration on hover. That can be done with pure CSS. Additionally, you could something like Lightbox 2 to add a bit of pizazz while eliminating the popup windows. If you are a Dreamweaver user, we will be releasing a fully automated presentation framework in a week or so. Here is a live preview of the output:

http://www.projectseven.com/products/staging/lightshow2/demo_01.htm

Sorry. Didn't see Thierry's suggestion. That should work for you if perfect symmetry is not a requirement.

--
Al Sparber - PVII
http://www.projectseven.com