On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:31:03 +0100, Edward Lynn <edward.l...@randluk.co.uk> wrote:

Hi everyone,

For me the IE6 issue is to a degree self perpetuating. We all do our best to
support IE6 and provide an experience which is as little degraded as
possible, and in doing that very thing, we give IE6 users no reason to
upgrade. If everyone started not to ignore ie6, but to give them a degraded experience, and advise the user what they are missing out on, perhaps these
users would start have have more of a reason to upgrade.

Ed

Ed,
This is not aimed as a personal comment, just my general thoughts about browsers. You are only seeing this from a 'Browser' point of view, what about the numerous people who have an elderly system that is not even capable of running something like IE 8. I still use 3 P3 machines with Win 2000, I can't go above IE 6 without upgrading the OS. XP will run on a P3 machine, but for sure neither Vista nor Win 7 will work. I can no longer buy a new copy of XP, therefore to upgrade my browser I would have to buy a new system. If my systems will cope with all the other major browsers, is seeing bells and whistles in IE a reason to spend large sums of cash. Not to mention the environmental aspect of throwing away solidly working machines just for the sake of a browser. The situation is soon to become even more complex, Microsoft will only release IE 9 for Vista and above. Somewhere it was reported that XP still accounts for around 64% of the Windows user base. A real browser from Microsoft could solve all the problems, but it would need to be unbundled from the operating system and have as wide a reach as say FireFox and Opera for system requirements. I have Win 7 capable machines, but why should I need to buy new OS just for the sake of a browser, those machines perform every function that I need in all other respects.

Just what are all the wondrous features that an IE 6 user is missing out on, how essential are they to the function of dissemination of information. What happens as the instances of bandwidth capping become more widespread. Much of what we are fed these days is 'bloat', from the operating systems to web ads and more. I started with a Sinclair ZX81 with a massive 1Kilobyte of memory, we've moved forward a long way, but is it all for the better?

Duncan