On 2010/08/19 09:14 (GMT+0800) Lyn Smith composed:

> Was wondering what the latest opinions are on using  fixed width or
> liquid design in light of the ever increasing size of monitor screens.

The meaning of "fixed width" isn't the same to everyone. It seems most
commonly to mean sizing in px, as you mention below, but can mean fixed
proportion of viewport width set in %, as well as a fixed multiple of font
size, being in em or ex. Set in % of viewport width in reality doesn't adapt
very well, squishing in narrow windows, ...

> Having just got a new computer with a 24" screen, I was not happy with
> the look of some of my liquid design sites.  While they are OK in screen
> resolutions up to 1280,  above that, they seem too stretched out. One in
> particular had a couple of lines of text which  went from one side of
> the screen to the other - not a good look.

...and resulting in unwieldy line lengths when windows are using all of a
widescreen display.

The "for the web" solution is one based upon some size that is in practical
terms adjustable by the user. Since screen resolution on modern displays
isn't intended to be adapted to users of varying requirements, readily
adjustable does not apply to them. Often people actually do do it in order to
enlarge objects they find too small when the high native resolution is
coupled with a small physical size. If so many sites didn't size in px, these
people wouldn't find such an adjustment's quality degradation necessary.

The "for the web" solution is to set widths in em or ex, which adapt to
whatever size text the user finds appropriate, while maintaining the
proportions among elements and text size intended by the designer. This may
or may not be thought of as fixed width, as physical width does indeed change
according to text size selected by the user. Nevertheless, when widths are
set in em, or to a lesser extent ex, the proportions are indeed fixed, which
means proportionally speaking a wide screen with lots of px will not get
"too" wide unless that's what the visitor intends via her selection of a
monster font size.

> It seems to me, going by the sites I  have frequented of late, that
> many seem to favour fixed width of   900-1000px which requires scrolling
> for 800x600 resolutions  but don't look too bad whatever the higher
> size of screen and resolution.

Sites designed "for" widths defined in px are not designed for the web,
they're designed for resolutions (and thus to exclude comfort and/or
usability for those using other resolutions), as print designs are for
particular paper, cover or billboard sizes. Conversely, designs styled for
the web are resolution independent, working well even when width is below
800px or above 1280px.

Horizontal scrolling of reasonably designed sites whose widths are set in em
may only occur when the visitor selects a font size proportionally too large
for her window width. For the remainder of visitors, neither will horizontal
scrolling occur, nor will lines or overall width become "too wide",
regardless how many px it takes to fill up the display, or how wide the
display is physically. The best em width sites are less likely to result in
horizontal scroll, adapting to what's available, as browsers have always done
by design and don't only because of artificial constraints imposed by site
stylists via CSS.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/