On 22 August 2010 16:03, Felix Miata <mrma...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> On 2010/08/22 12:51 (GMT+0100) Chris Price composed:
>
> > On 2010/08/22 07:03 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:
>
> The web wasn't designed for graphics, and for the most part still isn't.

What made the web revolutionary was the hyperlink and, to this day, it is
the web's single most significant and important attribute. But what does it
matter what the web was designed for - it wouldn't be what it is today
without graphics and all things that make it appealing to humans (that
aren't geeks). It wasn't designed for buying and selling because it is
stateless and has the memory of a goldfish yet Amazon and Ebay have had a
huge impact on it. Its universality is not only defined by its flexibility
but also by its appeal.

> Not at all. CSS came along well after the web.

Before css matured we were slaves to tables. My web pages have no tables
where there is no tabular information, no styling, no javascript just pure
html as the web intended. However I code to XHTML 1.0 which came after css.

> > (you can do print design that is resolution independent - moreso than
> > you can for web browsers).
>
> Observation of this assertion is first instance for me. Please elaborate.

I design using Adobe Illustrator and create eps files which are vector, not
bitmap images. They can, therefore, be printed at any size with zero
degradation. I know that modern browsers are designed to support vector
images but that's certainly not universally available.

--
Chris Price
0777 629 0227

follow me at http://twitter.com/hypergossip_uk