On 2010/08/22 12:51 (GMT+0100) Chris Price composed:

> On 2010/08/22 07:03 (GMT-0400) Felix Miata composed:

>> Sites designed "for" widths defined in px are not designed for the web,
>> they're designed for resolutions (and thus to exclude comfort and/or
>> usability for those using other resolutions), as print designs are for
>> particular paper, cover or billboard sizes. Conversely, designs styled for
>> the web are resolution independent, working well even when width is below
>> 800px or above 1280px.

> This sounds a little purist and not particularly practical for many
> designers. While graphics generated by the css are fluid, images are not so
> while fonts and html elements may wax and wane at will, graphics designed
> for the page remain fixed per pixel.

The web wasn't designed for graphics, and for the most part still isn't.
Images _can_ be sized in em/ex. The degradation they suffer rendered at other
than intrinsic size causes no materially different loss of "experience" than
images rendered too small to see the available detail.

IOW, an image that's intrinsically 384px by 384px and displayed on the
designer's 96 DPI screen will be 4" by 4". On my 192 DPI screen with browser
default size set to 32px it will be 2" by 2", which is 1/4 size, and much too
small to tell me much compared to the 4 times larger display on the 96 DPI
screen.

If OTOH, CSS specified that same image to be 6em tall by 6em wide, and
specified all other sizes in em, then the image would display 4" by 4" on
both the designer's screen and my screen. On his all the expected detail
would be preserved, and all the layout totally as he intended. On mine too
would the layout remain totally as he intended, with the image proportionally
the same size to the layout, and also 4" by 4", just with poorer detail, but
only if the image was exactly the same image. If OTOH the image was one less
optimized/compacted in the first place, one intended for use by the higher
DPI screens that are already common, then there wouldn't be material
degradation, and possibly none at all, depending on the image itself and the
browser engine rendering it.

> You can't say that pages designed for widths are not designed for the web.

I sure do.

> If a page is designed to look good in a web browser it is designed for the
> web.

Not at all. CSS came along well after the web. Before it and <font> came
along, inherent adaptability and usability could not be destroyed by the page
designer's artificial constraints. It wasn't about "looking good", it was
about universal availability and adaptability. That is the inherent web
still. Anything constraining the web's inherent adaptability is pretending to
be for something else instead, and simply hosted on the web for its
ubiquitous availability only - absent universality. Sizing in px is top of
the heap in that regard, as it totally ignores the user's environment and
preferences.

> (you can do print design that is resolution independent - moreso than
> you can for web browsers).

Observation of this assertion is first instance for me. Please elaborate.

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/