>> The web wasn't designed for graphics, and for the most part still isn't.
>
> What made the web revolutionary was the hyperlink and, to this day, it is
> the web's single most significant and important attribute. But what does it
> matter what the web was designed for - it wouldn't be what it is today
> without graphics and all things that make it appealing to humans (that
> aren't geeks). It wasn't designed for buying and selling because it is
> stateless and has the memory of a goldfish yet Amazon and Ebay have had a
> huge impact on it. Its universality is not only defined by its flexibility
> but also by its appeal.

The real revolution was the ability to define a URI -> a hyperlink was
indeed a magic bullet for web browsers, but "the web" as it stood back
then and nowadays, includes more than just the ability to follow a
link.

Also, assuming stateful connectivity vs stateless, is completely
orthogonal to the ability to purchase something, ie: application code
will store application state either on the client or on the server,
either technique (or a combination of both) having merit.

>> > (you can do print design that is resolution independent - moreso than
>> > you can for web browsers).
>>
>> Observation of this assertion is first instance for me. Please elaborate.
>
> I design using Adobe Illustrator and create eps files which are vector, not
> bitmap images. They can, therefore, be printed at any size with zero
> degradation. I know that modern browsers are designed to support vector
> images but that's certainly not universally available.

The term "resolution independent" depends on your personal
interpretation, often meaning completely different things to different
people.

Using vector graphics is one method for resolution independence, but
that context implies that the width vs height ratio of the page,
doesn't change too much -> Indeed vector graphics/fonts can allow the
width to be adjusted independent of height (within the bounds of
readability, eg: squashed-width text ), but it doesn't allow for
page-reflow... which is another interpretation of what it means to be
"resolution independent".

I'd be interested in examples of resolution independent (page-reflow)
print layout.

regards,
Mathew Robertson