Hi Steve,

> The linked example provided by tee i belive was taken from here:
> http://www.html5accessibility.com/index-aria.html

Yes, indeed I found the aegisdemo from your site . Sorry if a credit of the
source is expected and I neglected it. I thought it was a reference of
html5accessibility.

> the example: http://hanshillen.github.com/aegisdemo/ is provided as an
> alternative to the HTML5 menu control.
>
> The HTML5 menu control has not been implemented yet, but will almost
> certainly have the same or similar behaviour on each browser and interaction
> keystrokes will be same or similar to platforms standards for menu controls.
> The example uses standard interaction keystrokes for menu controls, it also
> exposes the correct semantics roles/states/properties for a menu widget, much
> like the menu control in HTML5 will when implemented.

Thanks for the explanation!

When I think of drop-down menu, my instant reaction is, it's a collection of
navigational elements for a web page, or an application. I am pretty sure this
is how most people think whether they are web developers or website users.

That being said, I actually had just looking up the HTML5 menu element the day
before I learned about the  html5accessibility which I found from "Some links
for light reading " from Russ's email.

HTML5 Specs define Nav element as <q>a section of a page that links to other
pages or to parts within the page: a section with navigation links</q> whereas
the menu <q>represents a list of commands.</q> and belongs to "Interactive
elements".
ARIA defines 'menu' as <q>a type of widget that offers a list of choices to the
user</q>, and 'menubar' as <q>a presentation of menu that usually remains
visible and is usually presented horizontally.</q>, and 'navigation' as <q>a
collection of navigational elements (usually links) for navigating the document
or related documents.</q>

Dropdown menu in this regard fits nicely to the Nav (for HTML5) and Navigation
(ARIA) elements.

Not seeking an answer from you or anybody here, as I am just thinking out loud
in attempt to articulate my thought on many things about HTML5 and
Accessibility, but feel free to elaborate on this topic or point out any flaw
of my thought. Having said that, Dropdown menu does not appear to be "a list of
commands" whether it be an application or a (conventional) website (that
consists of HTML markups and hyperlinks).

I get that HTML5 provides a new meaning for structure and semantics and
can/will help users who rely on AT and improve the accessibility in many areas
without the extended help from AT, and we as web developers will have to
abandon some old habits,  to adapt/learn the new approach so to take advantage
of what HTML5 brings; regardlessly the end result is to provide a more usable
and accessible site to end users regardless of their disability with the
minimum or no extended help from AT for larger audiences. Yet in terms of
accessibility, there are fundamental aspects that shall never required users to
learn new trick or abandon the convention (I call it common sense) whether a
site is built on HTML5 or HTML6 30 years later (ok, with the way the technology
advancing, maybe not); whatever enhancement/improvement the new technology
brings, should based upon the principle and fundamental aspect, not cut it off
and ask the user to learn the new in order to keep using the 'old' .

If the dropdown menu is strictly defined, or well-recongnized as Nav/Navigation
based on HTML5 and ARIA specs, the menubar example behaves like cutting off the
old (good way), forces user to  to learn the new in order to keep using the
'old'.

tee