Hi Bill,

On 9/30/2014 21:23, Bill Somerville wrote:
> On 30/09/2014 22:08, KI7MT wrote:
>> Hi Joe,
> Hi Greg,
>
> a couple of observations although I'm no expert on Linux packaging.
>>
>> Feedback on the documentation. You may want to leave it in, but long
>> term, just background info here.
>>
>> Section 3.2 Linux:
>>
>> The Debian/control file should include the runtime dependencies. They
>> are ARCH and Release version specific, particularly with the package names.
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> On x86_64 systems, the Dependency sections should include the
>> libgfortran:i386 libqt5multimediawidgets5 libfftw3-single3 + all other
>> runtime deps. This ensures i386 libgfortran + it's dependencies are
>> installed for multi-arch usage.
>>
>> On x84 (i386/i686) systems, the same dependency line would have
>> something like: libgfortran libqt5multimediawidgets5 libfftw3-single3 +
>> additional runtimes packages.
>>
>> The build dependencies are not needed here, only the runtime deps.

> Some of them are already in although I haven't sorted out the 32-bit on
> 64-bit systems ones. But 'dpkg' doesn't handle prerequisites. I believe
> 'gdebi' will do it but that itself is not in a default install.

I think that's correct, apt-get -f install sorts out deps, but dpkg
wont, Gdebi definitely does. Gdebi would need to be installed. I can
test that a bit too once the binaries are posted.

This is all a moot point if we can get a package up on Launchpad, but
that's a different can of worms :-)

> I think 'rpm' should install dependent packages but it didn't work for
> me on Fedora 20 so it is still on my list to investigate further.

Pass, not sure how rpm handles things.

>> If the control file is set correctly (for the target distribution &&
>> version ) the user should not need to install additional dependencies.
>>
>> This is the Debian/Ubuntu package maintainers job rather than the
>> upstream developers. But it is a big bonus if being done by upstream dev's.
> Agreed on both points.
>>
>> For the Release Candidate, this may be the only way to go, as it's
>> impractical for upstream to build all the variants (Debian Wheezy,
>> Jessie, Sid / Ubuntu Trusty, Utopic etc etc) as there are far to many
>> variables to look at. The package maintainers have to work the control
>> files as necessary.

> For now I think manual dependency installs is OK. The only issue is that
> the list of missing dependencies on a 64-bit system can look a bit
> daunting even though the bulk of them are resolved by pulling in the
> 32-bit compatibility libs that hang off that libgfortran3 32-bit package.

Agreed, I'll have to clone a clean 64-Bit VM and test this out, as I
have so many dev packages installed on my main Linux box it's
ridiculous. There is no way I could list what's needed on a clean system
at the moment.

libgfortran:i386 sorts out most of the multi-lib stuff, it's the QT
packages I'd need to look at. FFTW is straight forward, as Joe stated,
just need single3.

<snip>

--
73's