On Tue, Sep 30, 2014 at 8:10 PM, Bill Somerville <g4...@classdesign.com>
wrote:

>  On 01/10/2014 02:00, Richard Shaw wrote:
>
> In the yum-utils package there is a helper script called "package-cleanup"
> which can be used to find orphans (or other issues).
>
>  $ package-cleanup --leaves
>
>  But the list needs to be reviewed line by line because not all packages
> that lack dependencies should be removed, such as the kernel, which is not
> depended upon by another package :)
>
> Hmmm, tried that but it didn't pick up many of the packages that I thought
> it would. There were a bunch that I believe were orphaned when I upgraded
> with fedup from 18 to 20 but the Qt packages that were pulled in by the
> wsjtx install and all the 32-bit compatibility packages were not listed.

Well, sometimes it's just nomenclature :) With yum/rpm orphans are packages
that no longer reside in an available repository so ALL locally installed
packages will be in that list.

After an upgrade you want to use the --problems and --dupes options to do
some housekeeping.

Sometimes yum remove seems to know what were installed as dependants other
> time it seems to forget and leave the leaves installed.

Well, it's basically that it works in one direction only. If you install a
-devel package it will install all the required base packages, if you try
to remove the -devel package it doesn't know you don't need the base
packages anymore, but if you try to remove any of the base packages, it
MUST remove the -devel package or there will be dependency issues.

Thanks,
Richard