Hi Sandro,

Another resource for compiler / app tuning is the Gentoo. They are
constantly looking for the best "safe" settings and playing with advance
compiler flags:

[1] http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GCC_optimization
[2] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:Main_Page

I already had the Gnu 3.17 section bookmarked, allot of great info there
for sure.

One command I find interesting (from Gentoo pages):
$ gcc -c -Q -march=native --help=target |grep "enabled"

I've not used many flags with WSJT apps, but may do just to see how
things work, or not :-)

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On 12/15/2014 23:12, Alessandro Gorobey wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> last night I read some documentation on a library used by wsjtx for fft.
> I notice that on some processors the library is optimized using
> different instruction set.
>
> I am so crazy that do the follow:
>
> |- From the example file 130610_2343.wav create 10 copies with
> incremental numbers in a directory (00.wav, 01.wav etc..)
> - Open the directory with wsjtx ,adjust the level and modes to obtain
> what described in wsjtx-main.html section 6.4 Sample file 2
> - Created a copy of wsjtx and modified the compile fortran and c
> parameters adding '-mtune=native'
> |
> ||DANGER: this parameters cause that generated code is not portable
> between processors, but can be an idea for some users that compile code
> for use on theirs PC
>
> |Operating alternative with the 2 program and function Open and Shift+F6
> 'Decode remaining in directory' I see the decoding times, when the
> 'decode' button is blue.
>
> My idea was to see if can be a ||visible ||difference.
>
> Instead the decode times is half or less and the graph seem fly.
>
> The test is on i5 processor on windows 7.
> This week I am too busy, so intend to repeat the same test on other
> processors and Linux next week.
>
> ||I not able to enter into the ||mathematical ||discussion but is
> obvious there are many thousands of base operations (* ** / etc.) on
> float repeated every cycle.
>
> The GCC can handle this operations in many ways from 'emulation' to
> 'hardware'
> ||NOTE: GCC refer to the suite "GNU Compiler Collection" and a lot of
> parameters are common between several compilers.
>
> ||In the gnu.org site there some links for the compilers used in Superb
> JTSDK
>
> The index in https://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc/ at ||3.17.17 and
> 3.17.18 refer to PC processors
>
> There is also a section 3.17.4 ARM Options that can be of interest for
> the ||ARMv7 users as read in some recent discussions.
> |
> |What do you think of this crazy message ?
>
> 73
> Sandro
> IW3RAB

73's