Alan --

For several years already the SVN repository has included two
lightweight WSPR tools:

   wspr0.exe
   wspr_nogui.py

If running on minimal hardware is a high-priority goal for you (or for
your balloonists, or ???) have you considered either of these?

These programs have not received much attention of late, but should be
relatively easy to make functional and useful to play with.  The first
one, in particular, is *extremely* lightweight.

        -- Joe, K1JT