Hi Joe,

I’m glad to see that you were able to confirm the improved performance of the
two-pass decoder. I’m guessing that your dataset includes a more representative
mixture of bands and conditions than the group of 20m files that I used. Hence
the smaller, but still significant, increase in the number of decodes over the
default wsprd.

I am surprised by your observation that the two-pass decoder is faster than the
default one. That’s not what I see here. Are you using your wspr_timer.out
times? Or some other measure of execution time? The numbers that I reported
were the “Total” times from wspr_timer.out.

I just ran the analysis of my 20m files using the current default wsprd. It was
slightly slower than running wsprd_exp with the -s (single-pass option):

wsprd: 1315 decodes in 163s
wsprd_exp -s: 1315 decodes in 159s (taken from Table 1 in the .pdf writeup)

But in my case, both of these single-pass times are much shorter than the
two-pass execution time, which was 270s. I wonder if there is some compiler
optimization setting that was different between your wsprd and wsprd_exp
instances?

Steve k9an