From: Joe Taylor [mailto:j...@princeton.edu]
Sent: Friday, June 30, 2017 11:21 AM
To: WSJT software development <wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net>; George J
Molnar <geo...@molnar.com>
Subject: Re: [wsjt-devel] FT8 - build 7752 and rig control

Hi George,

> Still feel like the way this is being implemented is counter-intuitive
> for most operators. After your explanation, I get it. That said, I’ve
> made 10,000 JT-mode QSOs and it never occurred to me when I saw this.
> I think we might see a fair number of folks fall into the same
> confusion that I felt. It’s made more difficult since it’s not
> standardized across the platform.

The WSJT-X User Guide includes the following text in Section 4.2:

"Split Operation: Significant advantages result from using Split mode (separate
VFOs for Rx and Tx) if your radio supports it. If it does not, WSJT-X can
emulate such behavior. Either method will result in a cleaner transmitted
signal, by keeping the Tx audio always in the range 1500 to
2000 Hz so that audio harmonics cannot pass through the Tx sideband filter.
Select Rig to use the radio’s Split mode, or Fake It to have WSJT-X adjust the
VFO frequency as needed, when T/R switching occurs.
Choose None if you do not wish to use split operation."

I'm not sure what we could write that would be any more clear.

I have no idea what you mean by "it’s not standardized across the platform".

> Not sure what the solution is. For me, I will probably just build a
> configuration that prevents split for FT8, since my Flex is pretty
> flat across the passband and no audio card is involved.

Why do you need any "solution"?  Solution to what problem? For FT8, or for any
other mode??

        -- Joe, K1JT