I am also using an external usb sound dongle (the $5 variety from Amazon).
I am not seeing any of the noted audio issues with the 64 bit version.

I have set the audio once, gone back and forth, started, stopped the
program, changed configs. I don't see it. I assumed it was because it was
not the motherboard sound card. Now I gather from Bill that it is because
it has no level setting.

BTW, I assume we are talking about transmit level setting, not rx?

73, N0AN
Hasan