The problem is well known. As Bill G4WJS put it:

Any change to audio device availability on MS Windows is likely to renumber
> the indexes of other devices, when this happens WSJT-X gets no notification
> that it has happened.

That's an awful way to run an audio subsystem, and I'm sure it annoys more
than WSJT-X users, but we're not likely to get Microsoft to change it.

Bill goes on:

There is no practical solution that I am aware of, we get a device index
> when we initially enumerate the available devices and that index is used to
> address the selected device to send or receive audio samples. Short of
> re-enumerating audio devices just before any significant action with audio I
> don't see a solution. Note re-enumerating takes time which we do not
> usually have at the point it would be necessary.

 I suppose Bill is right that you don't want always to automatically
re-enumerate devices before each transmit cycle "just in case". But let me
suggest a practical partial solution.

There are two ways at present to force a WSJT-X re-enumeration of audio
devices that I know of: (1) Kill and restart WSJT-X, or (2) Switch WSJT-X
to another Configuration, and then switch back. Both of these really take
too much time, but then they are doing a lot more than just re-enumerating
the audio devices.

So my suggestion: add a *Reset Audio* menu item (under File or Tools, say)
that lets the operator manually trigger audio device re-enumeration, and
nothing else, when needed. Should be fast!

A small thing, sir, but my own.

73, Paul K6PO