On Fri, Jan 7, 2022 at 1:25 AM Fons Adriaensen via wsjt-devel <
wsjt-devel@lists.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 06, 2022 at 09:48:22PM -0800, Paul Kube via wsjt-devel wrote:
>
> > Any change to audio device availability on MS Windows is likely to
> renumber
> > the indexes of other devices, when this happens WSJT-X gets no
> notification
> > that it has happened.
>
> So does this mean that when a new audio device becomes available
> while a music app is playing some file, the output from that
> app would be redirected to some other device ?

No, rather it seems to be a result of what happens when an audio device in
use becomes unavailable. For example, headphones get unplugged, or an HDMI
monitor goes into sleep mode, etc. Then it kind of makes sense that Windows
would try to find another device that applications can use. Of course, it
does this badly, not always correctly restoring connections when the device
becomes available again.

Isn't the real issue here that WSJT is opening and closing the audio
> devices again and again for each RX or TX cycle ?

I don't think so; have you looked at the source code, or traced audio
subsystem calls?

73, Paul K6PO