Thanks for this suggestion!
I used the ssh connection (I am doing the equivalent thing for VNC as well)
and with this, it feels less sluggish! Still not quite as smooth as VNC but
it is
now much better and maxing x2go usable in comparison.
I experimented with different speed and compression settings, also tried
to disable audio forwarding and printing but that did not change much.
Of course it is hard to really test this properly since the connection I use
may not always provide the same bandwidth and since there is no way to
accurately measure this, it is just my subjective feeling of what is
faster.

I can live with establishing that ssh proxy connection manually, but I am
still
a bit confused that even now the comparison with VPN is still showing VPN
as being
faster. Have you guys tested this and got consistent results which shows
the opposite?

Once I have more time on my hands I will try this with different machines
and
connections I have plenty where I could try this out.

Completely different question: the way this works, would it in principle be
possible to
also have a windows client? I am almost exclusively using linux but with
vnc I can
use it from a windows machine as well, if needed. At the moment this
actually works
better than on linux in HDPI multi monitor configuration because windows is
able to
seamlessly scale the vnc client window according to the monitor dpi, while
linux
(at least Ubuntu 20.04) still cannot do this properly.

Cheers, j.