Am 01.10.20 um 20:34 schrieb Johann Petrak:
> Thanks for this suggestion!
> I used the ssh connection (I am doing the equivalent thing for VNC as well)
> and with this, it feels less sluggish! Still not quite as smooth as VNC but
> it is
> now much better and maxing x2go usable in comparison.

So it seems that SOMETHING is messing with the SSH connection.
I think we have received previous reports about commercial Firewalls/SSH
Gateways causing problems, but am unable to find that in the archives.

When you log in to that jump host, is there any way to find out what it
is running?  Like, Linux, some BSD, or something commercial/closed
source?  Can you run commands like "uname -a" there?

> I experimented with different speed and compression settings, also tried
> to disable audio forwarding and printing but that did not change much.

Well, as long as you're not actually using audio and printing, those
connections will just sit there idle, so that is to be expected.

> I can live with establishing that ssh proxy connection manually, but I am
> still
> a bit confused that even now the comparison with VPN is still showing VPN
> as being
> faster. Have you guys tested this and got consistent results which shows
> the opposite?

Oh, so you have the option of using a VPN connection instead of going
through that jump host?
In that case, it would be interesting to see what happens when you set
up a jump host of your own (preferably based on Debian Buster) on your
internal network (i.e. in the same network where your X2Go Server resides).
If you can connect via the VPN to the Jump Host under your control, and
from there to the X2Go Server, and it feels almost as fast or just as
fast as connecting directly to the server (via VPN), then that would be
an indication that your "official" jump host is having issues with our
client.  If, on the other hand, you're seeing the same lag again, it
would mean that something's broken on our end, i.e. in X2GoClient.

> Once I have more time on my hands I will try this with different machines
> and
> connections I have plenty where I could try this out.
>
> Completely different question: the way this works, would it in principle be
> possible to
> also have a windows client? I am almost exclusively using linux but with
> vnc I can
> use it from a windows machine as well, if needed.

Um, sounds like you haven't looked at the X2Go web page yet?
https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php -> the green box labeled "Get X2Go"

> At the moment this
> actually works
> better than on linux in HDPI multi monitor configuration because windows is
> able to
> seamlessly scale the vnc client window according to the monitor dpi, while
> linux
> (at least Ubuntu 20.04) still cannot do this properly.

Well, X2GoClient allows you to set the DPI for your session (third tab
in the session config), and it also allows you to enable or disable
XINERAMA there.  Maybe that helps?

Kind Regards,
Stefan Baur

--