On Thu, 1 Oct 2020 at 20:51, Stefan Baur <x2go-m...@baur-itcs.de> wrote:

> When you log in to that jump host, is there any way to find out what it
> is running?  Like, Linux, some BSD, or something commercial/closed
> source?  Can you run commands like "uname -a" there?

Debian 10 (buster)

 > I can live with establishing that ssh proxy connection manually, but I am

> > still
> > a bit confused that even now the comparison with VPN is still showing VPN
> > as being
> > faster. Have you guys tested this and got consistent results which shows
> > the opposite?
>
> Oh, so you have the option of using a VPN connection instead of going
> through that jump host?
> In that case, it would be interesting to see what happens when you set
> up a jump host of your own (preferably based on Debian Buster) on your
> internal network (i.e. in the same network where your X2Go Server resides).
> If you can connect via the VPN to the Jump Host under your control, and
> from there to the X2Go Server, and it feels almost as fast or just as
> fast as connecting directly to the server (via VPN), then that would be
> an indication that your "official" jump host is having issues with our
> client.  If, on the other hand, you're seeing the same lag again, it
> would mean that something's broken on our end, i.e. in X2GoClient.
>
> Sorry, that was a mistake, I meant VNC not VPN. What I meant is that I am
still
confused that even with those improvements of x2go, vnc is still noticably
faster.

I do have a different config to a server which I can reach both via an ssh
jump host
(running ubuntu) or a VPN, I will test this when I get some time.

> > Once I have more time on my hands I will try this with different machines
> > and
> > connections I have plenty where I could try this out.
> >
> > Completely different question: the way this works, would it in principle
> be
> > possible to
> > also have a windows client? I am almost exclusively using linux but with
> > vnc I can
> > use it from a windows machine as well, if needed.
>
> Um, sounds like you haven't looked at the X2Go web page yet?
> https://wiki.x2go.org/doku.php -> the green box labeled "Get X2Go"
>
> OK, so now I am blind as well, sorry.

> > At the moment this
> > actually works
> > better than on linux in HDPI multi monitor configuration because windows
> is
> > able to
> > seamlessly scale the vnc client window according to the monitor dpi,
> while
> > linux
> > (at least Ubuntu 20.04) still cannot do this properly.
>
> Well, X2GoClient allows you to set the DPI for your session (third tab
> in the session config), and it also allows you to enable or disable
> XINERAMA there.  Maybe that helps?

Thanks for that info and all your help!

Cheers,
  johann