Ross Moore wrote:
> I think what you are seeing is due to the  /CropBox settings.
Very happy to believe that, Ross (and will test later) but what I do not
understand is why things have changed so dramatically in going from TeX Live
2014 to 2016.  In 2014, adding the PDF/X-1A specials made no difference
whatsoever to the position of size of the page; in 2016, they cause a vertical
displacement.  And the interaction with the color package is also inexplicable.
 Anyhow, I first have to come up with a truly MWE and then I will be in a
better position to investigate and report back.

** Phil.