I only can tell you what is my scenario to help you:

- My LAN works with Xmail 1.21 (2 of them) over W2000 servers behind a
Linux firewall;
- My internet connection is ADSL (yes I do!), so my ip is in a dial-up
range;
- I´ve got a legal domain name (.com) hosted in DynDns.org;
- I´ve configured SPF records;
- I´ve tested my self with 'http://www.abuse.net/relay.html' in order to
pass 'open relay´tests;
- The firewall RESPONDS to icmp queries (this is important for some SMTP
servers)
- My users CAN send email directly to Hotmail (I don´t use my ISP smtp
server).

Sergio