By the way, I had no indications of this happening using 1.21 or
earlier.  This does not mean that it didn't for certain, but I am pretty
certain that it would have come up (I was running 1.21 and maybe 1.20
from the time they were made available until the newer versions with
this configuration - exchange -> assp -> xmail -> internet).  It is
possible that I may have made some seemingly insignificant change to any
of the players involved, though, most suspect being ASSP.

I have verified that I (seem) get only one failure message back to the
sender when the configuration does not involve exchange, that being
email client -> assp -> xmail -> internet.  Unless I am misreading the
documentation, I think this is also not the right behavior since
NotifyTryPattern is set to the default, but I prefer it to a whole bunch
of messages!

Here is an example of the header for that:

[<00>] XMail bounce: [EMAIL PROTECTED];Error=[The maximum number of delivery
attempts has been reached]

[<01>] Error sending message
[1137796073865.135234560.61c.banshee.buehlertech.net] from [buehlertech.net].

ID:        <S75D07>
Mail From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Rcpt To:   <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Server:    <bogusdomain.com> [bogusdomain.com]

[<02>] The reason of the delivery failure was:

The maximum number of delivery attempts has been reached

Thanks again for any thoughts or ideas...

Jeff