--- Jeff Buehler wrote :

> Right now I have XMail set to
> try 10 times, so there
> seem to be 10 emails that are sent to notify the
> sender of the failure.
>
> (...)
> Exchange users that have this problem - XMail is
> running on FreeBSD, but
> a number of Exchange users send through it as shown:
>
> Exchange -> ASSP (anti-spam proxy) ->XMail ->
> Internet - the problem
> definitely happens with this flow

Some thoughts:
As far as I know from XMail, a bounce (error) message
is like any other message, i.e., XMail will try to
deliver them the same way and it will make the same
number of tries if it needs. So, if you configure
XMail to make N tries to send a message and it fails
(and the sender's domain is not handled by XMail), it
will also make at most N tries to send (forward) the
error message.

Questions: does Exchange handle a domain of its own?
Does XMail have to forward the error messages to
Exchange? Maybe Exchange is accepting the error
messages, but it is also reporting an error to XMail,
forcing XMail to make the N tries. Does the XMail
postmaster (ErrorsAdmin in server.tab) receive any
error?

Please, send the _entire_ source code of one or two
error messages, including its headers. We will be able
to compare the PeekTimes reported by XMail and the
Received headers of the messages (if there are any).

Regards.